Different nomenclatures (HTMLDB, OWA, Apex), same thing?

Oracle Application Express - web application development tool (antigamente conhecido como Oracle HTML-DB)
Tinho

Here where I work we use Oracle technology to develop web pages through PL / SQL packages, known with OWA Acronimo (Oracle Web Application). But due to recurrent updates and new versions launched and among so many different nomenclatures and terminologies I end up kind of confusing myself about what is what. Therefore, I would like to count on the help of colleagues to clarify the following doubts below:

For example:

* Oracle Web Application and Oracle Webtoolkit?
- For what I understand, it's as if Oracle Webtoolkit was a kind of framework and Oracle Web Application is one of the tools of this framework;

* What does DAD mean? mod_plsql?

* Apex?
- Is the evolution of OWA, HTML DB, or Forms / Report? Or none of them? Through Apex I can develop desktop applications as well?

* At home I have installed Oracle Xe 11, which technology should I install to use the same resources used in my work? That is, for web development. Because I have seen that on Oracle's website has Oracle Fusion middleware as well as Apex and a Development Suite.

* Do you need to install Apache to configure a server to simulate the requisitions or can you use Microsoft IIS?

Who can help me, I remain waiting.

Thanks.
stcoutinho
Moderador
Moderador

Hi Tinho,

Oracle Apex is an evolution of Oracle HTML DB. He has nothing to do with Oracle Forms, although some people consider APEX as a kind of successor.

This link explains a bit of the Apex story:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_Application_Express

to use Oracle Apex, you can use the "PL / SQL Gateway" or "http" mode. More details on them you find in the Oracle Apex Configuration Guide http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23903_01/doc ... _login.htm .

Using the "HTTP" mode, you will need an Oracle HTTP Server or Apache server. I suspect it is not possible to use Microsoft IIS for this.

The term "DAD" corresponds to "Database Access Descriptor Configuration" that is used by Oracle PL / SQL Web Toolkit to allow a Web server to connect with the database when a URL is processed.

I believe that Web Toolkit is an independent tool of Oracle Apex (well prior to the launch of HTML DB .. perhaps originates from Oracle 8i). More information on the product can be obtained in http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/app ... ns_web.htm and http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B14099_19/web.1012/b15896.pdf

on the confusion of product naming, this is perfectly normal if oracle. I have already worked with Oracle EBS 11i, and "paraphernalia of acronyms" and product names was a very common thing in this ERP package. An Oracle product can adopt a number of different names in the course of your life.

I guess I could not answer 100% of your doubts, and I hope that the Glufke forists can contribute more information on this topic.

Hugs,

Sergio Coutinho
Tinho

Hello stcoutinho, thanks for the clarifications. Helped yes!

But still remain lost in the midst of so many acronyms. The reason for opening the topic was to try to situate me and locate "where I am, for what I want and / or accurate."

I have already picked up help in Oracle's documentation, but due to so many information ends up kind of "misinforming" because I do not know why technology fetched.

As I said in the work environment we use what is popularly known as OWA. We use the Oracle 10G version, Windows 7 and if I want to see which version of the tool is installed I use the following SCRPIT below:

Select all

select owa_util.get_version from dual; 
-- 
GET_VERSION 

The scripts Mounted on the desktop do not use any graphical or wizard for development interface, only PL / SQL, using "HTP" packages to develop web page. Doubt is: What should I install to emulate an environment where I can study and test such applications?

grateful.
stcoutinho
Moderador
Moderador

Tinho

You know that old story of "The more you move more fede". Each time I research something on the subject arise new terminologies and with her new doubts.

I have installed on my Oracle XE 10 and by what I could understand from what I read so far, Oracle PL / SQL Web Application is already installed by default, this can be proven with The following command:

Select all

SELECT status, version, comp_name FROM dba_registry;  

-- 
Oracle XML Database 10.2.0.4.0 

SELECT owa_util.get_version FROM dual; 

-- 
GET_VERSION 

So I can use all the functionalities inherent the technology as the use of "HTP" "libraries", for example.

However, so that I can send the requests to the server so that the same interpret my objects and reimbursing the page by returning the client side HTML code, first I need to set the DAD, That is a setup set of configuration values ??that specify the information required to create a session for a specific database and a database user / password.

and then activate PL / SQL Gateway or mod_plsql that is responsible for enabling, interpreting and invoking the PL / SQL routines through the Listener HTTP to allow send requests and pass parameters via URL, or still use the "XML DB http" whose which needs to be configured using the "dbms_epg" package http://en.glufke.net/oracle/viewtopic.php?t=7926) Riando session, user, password, that according to my understanding dispenses the installation of the "Oracle HTTP Server" and to emulate a Server environment.

For each run of the mod_plsql a database session is used, where for this it is to first configure a virtual path and associate this path with a database access descriptor (DAD) . Generally the DAD is used to establish direct access to the application. That "superficially" understanding as a component / driver (as if it were an ADO) to establish access and connection to the bank.

As I do not yet have the properly configured environment by running the following script, it is returned empty:

Select all

SELECT * FROM dba_epg_dad_authorization; 

-- 
vazio 

Time having everything installed and properly configured the "PL / SQL Web Toolkit" as a platform for the development of its applications.

Syntactically I believe that is this. At least it helps me structure knowledge in an organized way by favoring the learning curve and following a chronology.

Now I can now know how to make all the necessary settings using the libraries below:

Select all

Existem outras mais as principais são essas: 

DBMS_EPG.create_dad  
DBMS_EPG.set_dad_attribute  
dbms_epg.authorize_dad 

/* 
DBMS_EPG.deauthorize_dad 
DBMS_EPG.get_all_dad_attributes 
DBMS_EPG.get_all_dad_mappings 
DBMS_EPG.unmap_dad  
DBMS_EPG.map_dad 
DBMS_EPG.delete_dad_attribute  
DBMS_EPG.DROP_DAD 
*/ 

Loga more I will be coming At home and as soon as possible I will make the tests and communicate to you.

to whom you can add more information or still confirm them, thank you.

grateful to all for help and attention.
  • Information