cursor vs join

Tuning de Banco, Tuning de SQL, Ferramentas de tuning

Poston Mon, 25 Aug 2014 6:00 pm

Good afternoon everyone!

Someone tell me if there's a peformance gain between create a cursor that then a tuple will query into another table or create a query with a join between two tables would be more performative?
For example:
Code: Select all
for cs in (select id, nome from pessoas)
loop
select cs.nome, c.curso, c.status_final from cursos c where c.id = cs.id
and
Code: Select all
select cs.nome, c.curso, c.status_final from cursos c,pessoas cs where c.id = cs.id
heraldoaraujo

Poston Mon, 25 Aug 2014 6:48 pm

As a general rule, the more performance would JOIN himself.
But you gotta see how are created the tables, indexes, amount of data in the tables and etc.
DanielNN

att,

Daniel N.N.

Poston Mon, 01 Sep 2014 10:53 am

heraldoaraujo, avoid PL/SQL (cursor) If you can solve the problem with pure SQL. Pure SQL (without interaction with PL/SQL) is always faster.

[] s
fbifabio

Fábio Prado
www.fabioprado.net

Poston Wed, 03 Sep 2014 6:02 pm

fbprado, I performed a test and finally the PL/SQL code with cursor was 20 x faster than a join SQL in Oracle.
But before that in this same query I created an index in which the course fell from 19000 (solid) to 500 (five hours), I think I created a good index, but still after changes the SQL code for a PL/SQL cursor time fell to 9mins.
Can there be any explanation for this? For the end result I wanted to inform you that the result was 189,923 tuples
heraldoaraujo

Poston Wed, 03 Sep 2014 10:32 pm

@heraldoaraujo, very strange that happens! I can only explain if u post here for us 2 code examples and the execution plan generated by SQL.

[] s
fbifabio

Fábio Prado
www.fabioprado.net

Return to DBA Tuning