Automatic restore for approval environment

Backup, Recover, Import, Export, Datapump, etc
lekinhu

Good morning gentlemen.
yesterday I saw myself in a debate on Automatic Restore for the approval environment and would like to hear your opinion. Development staff is claiming that it is important to maintain the basis of homologation with a faithful production portrait. On the other hand, the operations team thinks that this type of restore should be done on demand ... otherwise, put the demands that are being approved and turns into a waste of appeal.

What do you think? In the company where do you work or provide advice, is there any automatic restore routine for homologation? If so, is it exp or rman?

Thanks people.
m4ybe_

You kind of mixed things into your question.

Yes, the ideal is that the approval base is a faithful portrait of production base.
and the testing base would be where developers / analysts would work (this yes no need to be faithful to production), after a routine / process was completed by development a second figure would do the approval of the process on the basis of Homologation, being all okay, everyone signing ... rs ... goes for production.

Now the second question is about tool, there is another story, this DBA decides with what he wants to make the copy of the base.

I do not work in consulting, but I think it is difficult to have some automatic process, because this depends a lot on the company's need, it may be that an outdated 3-month approval base meets the need for programs which are being developed.

outside that where I work the process of updating an approval base takes an average of 4horas to be performed by the size of the base and looks that it is small.

I do not know if I clarified something for you, anything from a touch.
ruibarros
Rui Barros
OCP - Oracle Certified Professional

Good morning Lekinhu,
My recommendation is as follows:
Homologation and test environment. Of course it depends on each company and the form of work.
We work with production, approval and test.

and approval is for testing system versions and testing for any type of test;
Including backup restore test to see if backup is upset.
and nothing better than a follow-up of a restore! Therefore, I recommend your follow-up, instead of automatic tools.

Hugs!
lekinhu

Thanks for the answers. All were very interesting.
Sorry if I was not very clear.

The architecture we are riding here in the company is also thus..test, approval and production. The stress of the last meeting occurred because developers wanted the production base to be restored for homologation daily or weekly. I went against several reasons: duration, risk of disrupting a specific approval, wasteful etc.

But by doubts, I found it interesting to put this issue here in the forum to hear other opinions. : D
  • Information