Alert Current Open Cursors Count

DBA Geral (instalação, configuração do banco, scripts do Sql*Plus, shell scripts, batch scripts, etc...)
dejambo

Speaks, I just received the Current Open Cursors alert - The metric "Current Open Cursors Count" is in 1579, I'vê been searching about the alert but I could not get much ... Somebody could explain why this alert and what must be done?

Thanks.
stcoutinho
Moderador
Moderador

DEJAMBO,

This error message indicates that Oracle reached the maximum number of open cursors. The cursor does not refer exactly to the PL / SQL cursor object.

If for example you open a SQL session with the PL / SQL Developer and access the Tools-> Session option, you will notice a series of commands running for each SQL open session. Then - the thick mode - the cursors are commands performed by SQL sessions.

If you never had problems with cursors and suddenly began to have, you could analyze if some application has been changed that accesses the bank. This error could be caused - for example - by a Java application that accesses the bank and is not correctly closing its operations on it (eg leaving the transactions open).

The bank parameter that controls the cursors would be the "open_cursors". You can consult it in your bank by typing the command:

Select all

SELECT NAME,VALUE FROM V$PARAMETER WHERE NAME = 'open_cursors';
If you find it necessary to increase the value of this parameter, you must do this with the Oracle alter System command. I would not know exactly how much increases the parameter at its base. You can take a test by increasing the same from 30% to 35% (kick).

If your bank was working normally, there was no increase in accesses and - even increasing the value of "open_cursors" - the error repeating, it would be nice to talk to your developers, It may be some application problem. And in this case, it would not help much you simply increase the parameter.

I hope it has responded to your doubt,
Hugs,

Sergio Coutinho
dejambo

Speak Sergio Coutinho .... Thank you very much for the answer, I will analyze my base according to what you said and also check if any application is in trouble closing the operations. When you find the way of the alert, I'll post here. Until later.
Trevisolli
Moderador
Moderador
Abraço,

Trevisolli
OCA Oracle PL/SQL Developer Certified Associate
OCP Oracle Forms Developer Certified Professional
Araraquara-SP

Good morning ...

only complementing, putting my opinion, besides the great explanation of Coutinho ... I think it is also worth, by doubts, take a look at the fountains (sources) , in the cursors (maybe search for Open) and, check after the alert date, if the fonts are actually closing these cursors.

Big hug,
dejambo

Good morning everybody.

Good I know that two years have passed since the creation of this post, but there is a very cool link about cursors. Follow the link for those who are interested.

Link -> http://www.orafaq.com/node/758
  • Information